|Organization||Town of Champion|
|Date and Time||Monday, March 6 2017 at 7:00 PM|
|Place||Town of Champion Offices Board Room (rear of building) 10 N Broad St, West Carthage NY|
|Contact||Chris Vargulick Town Clerk Phone (315) 493-3240 Fax(315) 493-2900|
The Town of Champion Town Board met in regular monthly session on Monday, March 7, 2017 at the Town Municipal Building, 10 North Broad Street, West Carthage. Present were Supervisor Ferguson, Councilmen Stewart, Watkins, Buzzell, and Waite, Attorney Farley and Superintendent Sech.
Supervisor Ferguson called the meeting to order at 7:00pm, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. The Supervisor opened the public forum. No one from the public addressed the Board.
· Councilmen Mr. Buzzell asked about a bus turnaround on Taylor Road. Supervisor Ferguson directed Mr. Buzzell to have the bus garage contact the Highway Superintendent to discuss the matter.
· Highway Superintendent Superintendent Sech reported on the activities for the previous month. He advised the Board that the furnace in the town barn malfunctioned a number of times over the weekend. Hyde-Stone Mechanical was called to make repairs. Superintendent Sech has asked Hyde-Stone to prepare a quote for an agreement to provide scheduled maintenance for the furnace.
· Engineer K. Dimmick reported that the process to complete long term financing for SD#2 Improvements is proceeding. Mr. Dimmick will monitor funding sources to apply for pre-planning funding for an expansion of SD#2 into Champion Heights.
· Assessor Mr. Vargulick reported that the state legislature is considering reverting back to giving all STAR rebates as an exemption instead of a check.
· PB/ZEO Mr. LaBarge reported that Planning Board approved one minor subdivision.
· Historian Mrs. Thornton announced that she is working on a project with the North County Public Radio to document through pictures a history of work in the region. There will be a session on April 11th in the Heritage Room for the public to share photographs from their private collections. On July 29th, the Sons of the American Revolution will hold a ceremony to recognize and honor Revolutionary War veterans buried in Hillside Cemetery in the Hamlet of Champion. Mrs. Thornton requested funding to purchase ten (10) wreaths for placement on the graves of the veterans.
· Circuit Rider Ms. Amyot reminded members about the deadline for registration for the Local Government Conference.
Motion by Mr. Buzzell, seconded by Mr. Stewart to approve the minutes of February 6, 2017 as presented. Ayes-5, Nays-0. Motion carried.
Motion by Mr. Buzzell, seconded by Mr. Stewart to pay the following bills as presented:
RACOG #3 ...$200.00
Con WD #1 O&M
WD 2,4&5 O&M #14-21 $8,831.50
SD#2 O&M #11-15 $8,205.62
SD#2 Capital #1-2 ...$52,678.64
Ayes-5, Nays-0. Motion carried.
The Supervisors monthly report was read and discussed. Motion by Mr. Stewart, seconded by Mr. Watkins to accept the report as presented. Ayes-5, Nays-0. Motion carried.
Supervisor Ferguson reported on discussions with the Jefferson County Forest and Trails coordinator at the February 28, 2017 Comprehensive Planning committee meeting. Issues discussed included snowmobile trails, town roads open to ATVs, and constructing walking trails in County forests. The next meeting is scheduled for March 28, 2017 to discuss zoning and begin a review of the draft comprehensive plan.
Supervisor Ferguson also advised the Board that the ballast in one of the pole lamps in the parking lot exploded and caused a minor localized fire. NYTRIC was called to remove the damaged light. NYTRIC will prepare a quote to replace the outside lighting with LEDs through a National Grid program.
Superintendent Sech discussed his recommendation to
purchase a Mack truck and plow equipment due to the age and condition of the
truck it is replacing. The quote is on
the Onondaga County bid. Supervisor
Ferguson reported that an application has been delivered to USDA-Rural
Development for community facilities funding.
He stated that he expects a grant equal to 10-30% for the purchase
A resolution was offered by Mr. Buzzell, seconded by Mr. Stewart authorizing the issuance of serial bonds, statutory installment bond or installment purchase agreement for the purchase of a 2018 Mack GU712 Granite Allison ($130,400) and plow package ($88,451) not to exceed $225,000.00. Roll call vote: T. Stewart-aye, H. Watkins-aye, S. Buzzell-aye, L. Waite-aye, and Supervisor Ferguson-aye. Resolution adopted.
· The Town Code of Ethics was distributed to and received by each member of the Town Board and will be distributed to every town employee. Supervisor Ferguson requested that any employee with a conflict disclose the conflict in writing. Supervisor Ferguson reported that the three person Ethics Board has one vacancy and asked the members to submit names for consideration.
· Attorney Farley reviewed the suggested amendments to the draft local law regarding littering on town roads. Attorney Farley advised that an enforcement officer would need to be appointed and a salary set. Peter LaBarge reported that NYSDEC has increased number of officers in the region which has improved their response. The NYS Police respond to reports of drug paraphernalia. Judge Quinn objected to the adoption of the littering law explaining that the state has littering laws and that the identification of the perpetrator is very difficult. Motion by Mr. Buzzell, seconded by Mr. Waite to table review of the law. Ayes-5, Nays-0. Motion carried.
· Motion by Mr. Stewart, seconded by Mr. Waite to authorize the Highway Superintendent to post town roads. Ayes-5, Nays-0. Motion carried.
· Board members reviewed the Shared Services Agreement between the Town and the NYSDOT for responding to emergencies. Motion by Mr. Stewart, seconded by Mr. Waite to authorize the Supervisor to execute the shared services agreement for a term of four years. Ayes-5, Nays-0. Motion carried.
· Motion by Mr. Stewart, seconded by Mr. Buzzell to adjourn. The meeting adjourned at 8:27pm.
Town of Champion
March 6, 2017
I. CALL TO ORDER Pledge of Allegiance
III. MONTHLY REPORTS
3. Highway Superintendent
5. Town Attorney
6. Justice Court
7. Planning Board/ZEO
8. Parks/ Historian
9. Circuit Rider
IV. TOWN CLERK
1. Action: Approve minutes for February 6, 2017
2. Action: Approve bills for payment
V. SUPERVISORS REPORT
1. Monthly report
VI. NEW BUSINESS
1. Action: Adopt bond resolution for purchase of truck and plow equipment
2. Discussion: Local Law regarding littering
3. Discussion: Code of Ethics
4. Action: Authorize posting of town roads
5. Action: Renew NYS Shared Services Agreement